Thursday, May 31, 2007

Cha-ching



There are over 6,000 Starbucks in the world, and I feel like they are all trying to rip me off. Everytime I've walked out of one I say to myself, "Did I really just pay that man in the green apron that much for coffee?"

I'm only going on this rant because yesterday's shirt was, "I spend $4.00 or more for coffee." This one got a particularly large reaction because so many people can identify. I had people going up to me all night saying, "That's me!I need that shirt!"

The funny thing was, I was wearing this shirt while I was paying $4.00 for a rum and coke I know costs about 25 cents to make. This had never bothered me before, it was a fact of life that when you eat and drink out it costs a lot more. I've never felt dooped walking out of a bar. I've even paid $300 for a bottle of vodka that costs $30 so I could sit with prettier people and have someone wait on me. It made me realize I shouldn't feel that bad about my frappuccino. Starbucks has created this space, an ambiance that makes it ok for people to spend that much money on coffee. If a cushy chair and some soft jazz music is enough to get people to pay $4.00, then good for Starbucks.

If you're still feeling bad you can always order the "poor man's latte" I've been hearing about. This drink, aka "Ghetto Latte" is an Americano, half ice, no water. Then you go over to the condiment counter and fill it with your own dairy. The dirty feeling you may get from cheating Starbucks is countered by the fact you just saved a few dollars.