Sunday, May 20, 2007

Don't make my vices better for me!

One of my own guilty pleasures is that I rarely read anything in the New York Times that's not the style section. It feeds my needs for trends and pop culture in a way that makes me feel better about liking them at all.

This week there was a great article about Diet Coke Plus. For those of you who don't know, Coca-Cola has decided to put vitamins in Diet Coke. I had my own adverse reaction when I saw it on campus. I bought it (I had to see if it tasted different) and was complaining about it in class. Someone asked me if it tasted any different, and it doesn't, so they said to me, "Be thankful you're getting some vitamins then."

My favorite exerpt from this article is this:

"Diet Coke Plus with vitamins indeed! What will be next, Absolut-Plus?

I guess it shouldn’t come as such a surprise. After all, we are living at a time when we just can’t leave bad enough alone. Whole wheat pasta and whole grain Froot Loops. Lactose-free reduced-fat Swiss cheese. Sugar-free ice cream. Alcohol-free beer. Trans-fat-free French fries. Yoga classes instead of expense-account lunches. Cruise ships are supplanting gluttony and hedonism with “edu-tainment” classes for self-improvement.

And along with candy for its turndown service, Ritz-Carlton plans to offer a book of quality short fiction. Can’t we just have a chocolate? Must we be given the burden of lyrical, mind-improving literature when all we want is sugar and cable TV?"

You can read the rest of the article Here